by Macy Johnson
“When you give it to them, they gather it up;
when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things.”
(Psalm 104:28 NIV)
My granddaughter, Dahlia, likes to pretend she owns and manages a restaurant when she visits us. She explores my refrigerator and pantry to find items for her menu. I am amazed at the beautiful list of options she creates on my computer with unique pictures and special fonts.
The latest and greatest bill of fare included a dessert item I did not recognize. “Dahlia, what is Cosmic Candy?” I asked. She took me over to my fancy, glass candy jar and reached down inside to get a varied selection of delectable bites. “It’s a handful of this!” she explained.
Cosmic candy reminds me that God satisfies me with good things that are even better than what I could put in my mouth.
- Hershey’s Kisses are like the sweet, generous kisses from grandchildren.
- Hershey’s Birthday Cake Kisses are like singing “Happy Birthday” over and over again at a celebration with family members.
- Caramel M&Ms are like a simple text that says, “I love you” with a heart emoji.
- Peanut Butter M&Ms are like an email that lifts my spirit when I am down.
- White Chocolate Marshmallow Crispy Treat M&Ms are like the sun shining through the dark clouds on a dreary day.
- Dove Dark Chocolate bites are like warm covers in anticipation of a restful night’s sleep.
- Hershey’s Hugs are, of course, compassionate, caring hugs.
My candy jar is full of surprises and the selection changes with my whimsical moods. I imagine my heavenly Father smiling on me as I enjoy a piece of joy in His presence. Sweetness in my mouth brings sweetness to my soul.
I will thank my heavenly Father for all the good things from His hands. I hope you will, too!