by Macy Johnson
“Put on the full armor of God
so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”
(Ephesians 6:11 NIV)
I was shocked as I sat and watched a report on television one night. A father was carried away from his Tennessee home by armed FBI agents. His offense? He had participated in a peaceful demonstration at an abortion clinic many months before. I cannot recollect the details, because I was so taken aback by the fact that it could happen to me. Can officers of the law drag me away for standing for the Truth?
Christians are facing persecution in this country like never before experienced. It is time to be ready for the fight. During a Bible Study on the book of Ephesians, the leader walked us through the motions of putting on God’s full armor:
- Tie the Belt of Truth around your waist to hold your faith in place
- Hang the Breastplate of Righteousness to protect your heart
- Put on the Shoes of the Gospel of Peace to go where God sends you
- Carry the Shield of Faith to blind the enemy with the shiny side and repel fiery arrows with the soaked leather side
- Put on the Helmet of Salvation to enable you to focus on God
- Pick up the Sword of the Spirit, the Word of God, to defeat the lies
Football helmets are equipped with electronic receivers to hear the coach’s instructions. The word of God is like a football thrown by a quarterback to be caught by eligible receivers. Participants must place one foot ahead of the other, balanced at the start, and one step at a time in the right direction to be successful.
I will put on the full armor of God every day. I hope you will, too!